Sunday, December 5, 2010

Final Project

For my final project, I made a video.

A music video, in fact.

My friend Seth Irby is a professional musician for "Keynote", the music side of Campus Crusade for Christ.  He and his wife Laura are known as the band "Seth and Laura".
How original.

And their music is great.  Very original.  I especially love one entitled "Outside," and I decided to make a music video for it.

There were several things that would seem weird with this decision.

1) I have never made a music video before.

2) I have never made a video without a central human character.

3) I have never made a movie that tells a non-narrative story.

4) I could have picked something much quicker to make than a movie...  I have several other VERY time-consuming final projects due this week, and could probably have made something a little less time-consuming than a music video.


It went reasonably well, I thought.
I had a script written out...  Had a mental shot list...  Had it all perfectly in my head, and then BOOM.  Snow.  On the day(s) I had planned to shoot outside.
My mental picture had no snow.
And I had only shot the indoor stuff when the grass was green.
Because I'm a moron.

SO.  I revised EVERYTHING.  I went back and figured out how to use the stuff I had already shot (combined with some clips I had filmed a while back) and put them over an abridged version of "Outside"...
It was rough for a while.  It still is roughish.
It is incredibly hard to do handheld moving shots with a DSLR.  Also the colors between the clips still don't really match, but they're as close as I could get them.

But no matter.  It tells a story; it has a message!  Onward to the finished product!






This video is mostly aimed at us new media students who need to get outside every once in a while.  I'm guilty of it as well, yes.

We hear "access the world through your computer", but that's a bunch of baloney.  We are accessing our computer, not the world.  We build relationships with our computer.  We build entire worlds of safety and comfort on our computers.  We entertain ourselves with our movies about people we never will meet; tv characters that have never existed.  We play paintball video games on the xbox, when we could just go and play paintball in person.
We live life less and less each day.

So GO OUTSIDE!
There's a world awaiting.

It's been a blast, Seeing Sideways.
Signing off...
~Thomas Fraley

No comments:

Post a Comment